By Markus Imhoof, Claus-Peter Lieckfeld
“If 70 percentage of all livestock or 30 percentage of all chickens have been to die every year, states of emergency will be declared all over the place. The loss of life of bees is a minimum of that dramatic and with much more far-reaching consequences.” More Than Honey, the e-book in accordance with the award-winning documentary of a similar identify, takes us on an international journey of the area of bees, introducing us alongside the best way to “killer bees,” Frankenbees, beekeepers, and human pollinators. Markus Imhoof and Claus-Peter Lieckfeld study either the heritage and present prestige of our dating to and reliance on bees, and divulge the human behaviors which are contributing to the decline of the bee population—a decline which could eventually give a contribution on to an international nutrition problem.
The authors intersperse information regarding the tricky social constitution of the bee global and the issues confronted via bees—ranging from the ever-present Varroa destructor to overuse of insecticides and an ever-shrinking normal landscape—with conversations and interviews with beekeepers and bee specialists from internationally, balancing the perspectives of these who see bees as easily a priceless resource of source of revenue with the perspectives of these who see bees as undervalued, misunderstood creatures that want our aid to outlive. the result is an interesting, available evaluation of a species that's the most important to our survival.
Read Online or Download More Than Honey: The Survival of Bees and the Future of Our World PDF
Similar nature books
Birds of Peru is the main entire and authoritative box consultant to this various, neotropical panorama. It gains each one of Peru's 1,817 fowl species and indicates the exact plumages of every in 307 outstanding, fine quality colour plates. Concise descriptions and colour distribution maps can be found contrary the plates, making this e-book a lot more uncomplicated to exploit within the box than average neotropical box courses. This totally revised paperback version contains twenty-five extra species.
* A complete advisor to all 1,817 species present in Peru--one 5th of the world's birds--with subspecies, sexes, age periods, and morphs absolutely illustrated
* Designed particularly for box use, with bright descriptive info and useful id assistance contrary colour plates
* targeted species debts, together with a full-color distribution map
* contains 25 extra species now not coated within the first version
* positive factors three completely new plates and greater than 25 extra illustrations
California is synonymous with chance, prosperity, and typical attractiveness, yet weather switch will surely impact the state’s destiny. alterations will have an effect on the economic system, usual assets, public future health, agriculture, and the livelihoods of its citizens. yet how gigantic is the danger? How will Californians adapt?
“If 70 percentage of all livestock or 30 percentage of all chickens have been to die every year, states of emergency will be declared in every single place. The demise of bees is not less than that dramatic and with much more far-reaching results. ” greater than Honey, the e-book in keeping with the award-winning documentary of a similar identify, takes us on an international journey of the realm of bees, introducing us alongside the best way to “killer bees,” Frankenbees, beekeepers, and human pollinators.
The Boids are again on the town . . .
The follow-up to the award-winning Extinct Boids, this ebook gains extra of the marvelous paintings of cartoonist Ralph Steadman. This time, the focal point isn't really at the birds which are long past, yet at the ones that there's nonetheless time left to save lots of. those are the 192 seriously endangered birds at the IUCN crimson checklist, species equivalent to the enormous Ibis, the Kakapo, the Sumatran Ground-cuckoo and the enduring Spoon-billed Sandpiper--these, besides a couple of vintage Steadman creations equivalent to the Unsociable Lapwing, are the Nearly-Extinct Boids.
Woids are back by way of writer, conservationist, and filmmaker Ceri Levy. jointly, Ceri and Ralph are THE GONZOVATIONISTS.
A part of the proceeds from this e-book will visit BirdLife foreign to aid them hinder the Nextinction.
- Running with Rhinos: Stories from a Radical Conservationist
- The Nature of Classification: Relationships and Kinds in the Natural Sciences
- Essential Building Blocks of Human Nature
- Birdwatchingwatching: One Year, Two Men, Three Rules, Ten Thousand Birds
- Bird Populations (Collins New Naturalist Library, Volume 124)
- Elephant Memories: Thirteen Years in the Life of an Elephant Family
Extra resources for More Than Honey: The Survival of Bees and the Future of Our World
The theme of natural or universal religion in the De Jure Belli ac Pacis is inserted in a chapter which deals with punishrnent; it is linked with the right to punish and to pardon, notably in what concems religion. It is introduced by a surprising reflection27 on the right of Princes28 to punish those "who violate to excess the law of nature or of peoples with regard to any particular thing", that is to say even if it is not a question of their own subjects (sect xi). But this right is immediately balanced by severe restrictions: One must not confound generally received custom (minus proprie naturale) with the law of nature (proprie naturale); one must distinguish between generally received principles29 and others which are less so, between principles and consequenees,30 and make sure the law transgressed was eommonly known and reeognized.
Whereas Malebranche's God is an absolute monarch, caring for nothing more than the magnification of his own glory, Leibniz has it that the King of Heaven cares for nothing more than the Stuart Brown 13 happiness of his subjects. Whereas Malebranche's God is accountable only to bimself, Leibniz's God is almost accountable to bis subjects. In concocting the word 'theodicy' Leibniz was not just giving the name to an existing branch of natural theology but in some measure changing its character. For the metaphor conjures up a picture of God being, so to speak, called to book and charged either with directly producing evil or being in some other way to blame for it.
196. 16 Traite de morale, in Oeuvres Completes (ed. 32. 17 Traite de la Nature et de La Gräce I, lix; in Oeuvres CompLetes (ed. 49; Treatise (trans. 128f. 18 Traite de la nature et de la Gräce, I xliii; Oeuvres Completes (ed. 63; Treatise (trans. 137. 19 Oeuvres de Descanes (ed. 201; Philosophical Writings 0/ Descanes (trans. 108. 270f. 21 Nieolas Malebranche, The Search after Truth, ed. and trans. by Thomas M. Lennon and Paul J. 448. 22 See Patriek Riley, The General Will Be/ore Rousseau: The Transformation of the Divine into the Civic (New Jersey: Princeton UP, 1986).