By Robert Carlson
The sequence builds an intensive number of top of the range descriptions of languages all over the world. every one quantity deals a finished grammatical description of a unmarried language including absolutely analyzed pattern texts and, if acceptable, a thesaurus and different suitable info that's on hand at the language in query. There aren't any regulations as to language kin or quarter, and even though targeted cognizance is paid to hitherto undescribed languages, new and necessary remedies of higher recognized languages also are incorporated. No theoretical version is imposed at the authors; the single criterion is a excessive usual of clinical caliber.
Read or Download A Grammar of Supyire PDF
Best criticism & theory books
Thoreau used to be a poet, a naturalist, a huge American author. used to be he additionally a scientist? He was once, Laura Dassow partitions indicates. Her e-book, the first to think about Thoreau as a significant and devoted scientist, will switch the best way we comprehend his accomplishment and where of technological know-how in American tradition.
In Ross Kilpatrick's research of the 1st e-book of Horace's Epistles, the controlling moral topic that emerges is friendship. in keeping with Kilpatrick, Horace systematically explores and applies, with affection, tact, sincerity, and a kindly feel of humour, the tasks of amicitia.
"All artwork always aspires towards the of music," wrote Walter Pater. The Celestial Twins, whereas spotting many affinities among track and poetry, argues that poetry in Western tradition has again and again separated itself from track contexts and that the simplest poetry is a only verbal paintings. H.
First version. desk of contents, preface, footnotes, index. A serious research of Howells's later novels. x, 254 pages. textile, airborne dirt and dust jacket. octavo. .
- Twentieth-Century Literary Theory: A Reader
- Women and Literature in Britain 1800-1900
- The Body of Poetry: Essays on Women, Form, and the Poetic Self (Poets on Poetry)
- Lyric Poetry: The Pain and the Pleasure of Words
Extra info for A Grammar of Supyire
1. Consonants 11 b. cyde + women cydebii 'the women' -pu (5) gender 2 definite singular: -ke a. bdN- + baboon b. bahouse + -ke bdgke DEF(G2S) 'the baboon' -ke bag6 'the house' ['baRe] (6) gender 4 definite: -te a. kddN- + cotton b. kyara meat + -te DEF(G4) -te köönte 'the cotton' kyaäre /kyaäde/ ['kxa:re] 'the meat' Clitics may also undergo voicing. Individual clitics and speakers differ among themselves in behavior. For example the clause final subordinator k6 (which marks relative clauses, adverbial time clauses, and locative questions) is almost always voiced (and flapped) by some speakers except when it follows a word ending in an unstressed /gV/.
Pa [pa] come [fi] fy) python [f9i] fyeere urinate [fje:re] fyää hurry [f 9 a:] cf. IMP cf. GlP cf. 1. IMP [b 3 i:] * cf. back [bYe] cf. agreeable bya drink [b^a] cf. ba river [ba] Between labials and back vowels the realizations of secondary release are [φ], [β], or simply [w]. With non-high vowels, the fricative release shades into the approximant. Examples with /p/ are: [ρΦϋΟΪ] cf. puni all [P un i] pworo adobe [ρφ^Γο] cf. better [ρφλν3Γθ] cf. G3P [bßw2Ri:] cf. big [bu:qg] cf. boro sack [boro] cf.
Vowels (71) Ku it 39 Ku kan cedga ä. ' kan cedgi ά. DEF to Cedgi ä kare ä kwo. DEF PERF go SC finish Cedqa a kära a kwd. ' U pye ä she NEG PERF Upye a kärä έηά ä? ' kare anf ä? Q As shown here, most vowel-initial clitics begin with /a/. 6 below. The vowels of third person anaphoric pronouns are unstressed, and most of these assimilate as expected (exceptions will be dealt with in the next section): (72) Ku it(G2S) ä ßwo. PERF good => Ka äßwo. ' Li it(G3S) ä β wo. PERF good La ä β wo. 5. Approximant formation When three of the eight anaphoric pronouns precede a vowel-initial clitic, they do not allow the assimilation of their vowels as described above.